Tuesday, April 21, 2009

What Is Fashion?



A friend's blog asked what is fashion? What fashion would you love? Fashion is an ever-changing monster that never really changes, just adds things to fashions of the past. That's what I think anyway.


I would love to be in the Gone With the Wind times for a few days, but I would probably make it look more like Carol Burnett did in her spoof with curtain rods at my shoulders. I don't think I could handle the corsets for long though. I like breathing for some strange reason.


I grew up in the 70s and graduated from high school in the early 80s. My first memory of fashion was the always matching or coordinating outfits with my younger sister. Especially Easter dresses. We also had to wear hats and gloves because of fashion. I hated those hats! I remember an orange and white checked maxi-skirt with a flowing butterfly sleeve blouse that I thought was the most lovely thing in the world when I was in 3rd grade. Of course it had matching white Mary Janes and white socks. In middle school I was "stylin" in my falling star bell bottom jeans and red, white and blue track shoes. In high school things went preppy to oxford shirts, button up Levis, Dexter "wallaby" shoes and anything OP. Also went through a phase of cutsie frilly dresses, jelly sandals, and those little China-styled flats with pants that were baggy at the top and tight at the bottom of the leg. Did those have a name? I also went through the layered polo look. I had a polo in every color imaginable and pants too. I had orange, yellow, red, bright blue, etc. And the "proper Keds white canvas tennies."


Now my fashion is jeans and whatever shirt fits that day. I rarely dress up any more - don't have a place to go if I did. I have skirts and slacks for church, but other than that, it's jeans. Unless it's one of those days and then it's jammies for the day. I would love to have a makeover and be "one of those moms," but I don't think I could handle the maintenance. I tend to take the easy way out. You get makeup if you're lucky.


I think Miss A has been watching Mommy too closely..........what do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Popping in from Octamoms blog! Darling little girl, a style all her own. We'll have to introduce her to my #7, he could have his very own episode of What Not to Wear.

    Fun blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that fashion girl! Great post!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete